Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY Cooking Extracts!

On the first of January 2012 I started making my peppermint extract. I figured since people could make their own vanilla extract, why not peppermint? Plus I couldn't find it in the store! I had some dried peppermint from Penzeys Spices that I wasn't using for anything else--so I thought, why not? I heard dried herbs work best when making extracts so it was perfect. I put some of the dried peppermint in a glass jar that was previously used for Trader Joe's Instant Coffee. Then I filled it to the top with vodka. That's right, vodka! If you are swearing off alcohol (like me) and don't want to waste it, might as well make cooking extract with it! I know not everyone has vodka laying around, but it's pretty easy to come by if you're 21 or older. Perhaps someone you know has some and they might share it with you for this purpose. I used pretty cheap, store brand vodka. Any kind works. I left it in a dark area and shook it once a day when I remembered. If you forget, that's all right. Leave it for a month or more and it will be ready for baking and flavoring! I use it with whipped cream for a minty cream. Delicious! Let me know if you try it!

- Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment