Saturday, February 11, 2012

Trader Joe's Almond Butter with Roasted Flax Seeds

I've been wanting to try this almond butter for a while but haven't until yesterday. It's a little oily and therefore runny, but I didn't mind too much. It has a slightly sweet and salty almond flavor with a hint of flax. Usually I hate the taste of flax (I've tried using flax meal for baking--blech!) but the flavor in this was light and gave it a nice crunchy texture. I suppose it's because they use golden flax seed, which is supposed to have a more pleasant flavor than regular flax. These are whole flax seeds so I'm unsure if they carry the same benefits as ground flax. I've heard different things, but most of it points to no benefits except fiber because we can't digest whole seeds. That's unfortunate, but at least it's still tasty. It's said to contain 360mg Alpha Linoleic Acid Omega-3 per serving from the flaxseed. These types of fatty acids are essential, but our bodies cannot make them so it's important that we get them in the food we eat (1). If you shop at Trader Joe's I'd recommend this, especially for those on a low carb diet. It has more fiber than regular almond butter and it's just as delicious--if not more so. If you've tried it, let me know what you think!

Sources:

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you today!

    My doctor made me get this book a while ago called The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet...and there's a TON of recipes in the back full of low carb stuff...If I come across anything I think you'll like I'll email you the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete